Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

does eye color effect light sensitivity

does eye color effect light sensitivity

There is a genetic condition called albinism or ocular albinism which is a defect in the pigment. These patients are known to have light sensitivity. In general, however, the answer is no. Caucasian people and those with blue/green eyes have less eye pigment and can be more sensitive to light.

If the light sensitivity is worsening or a recent change, then you should be examined by your ophthalmologist to ensure the sensitivity is not a sign of inflammation in the eyes.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have brown eyes, my son has blue. he needs sunglasses in snow and sunlight. i do not. is it because of our eye color?

Possible, but if he's not had an eye exam, I would recommend he get one to check for inflammation. There a condition called pars planitis which is inflammation behind the lens and can cause light sensitivity.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dr james my son's eyes are fine this is a science report. we are having difficulty finding any information on light sensitivity. is there a specific book we can look at about this topic/
There is a not a specific book on this topic. Here is an article on light sensitivity.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/lightsensitive.htm

Best wishes.