Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

What would cause a ghost image (outline of object being viewed

What would cause a "ghost image" (outline of object being viewed that appears around the bottom / left edge) in my vision? It only occurs in my right eye, and is most noticeable when I look at a light or view white objects on a dark background. I have hypertension (controlled with meds), am not diabetic, and am nearsighted.

Do you mean to say that you are having double vision with your right eye?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know if this would be called classic double vision or not. It's only noticeable to me when I look at a light (lamp, lit bulb, sunlit window while in a dark room, etc.) or white object (such as the white letters on my black keyboard - or a white logo or letters on a dark background such as tv screen during commercial, etc.) I don't notice it at any other time. It is more pronounced with my new glasses than it was with my old ones, I don't know why the change in prescription would make me notice it more, but it did. (At first I thought there was something wrong with the lens in my new glasses, but when I went back to my old pair, I realized I could see it there also.) The doctor who examined me for the glasses also said he did not see any signs of cataracts, and everything appeared healthy when he looked into my eyes.

You seem to be having monocular diplopia with your right eye. The causes of monocular diploia(ghosting) could be astigmatism, keratoconus, pterygeum, cataract, dislocated lens, dry eyes, LASIK surgery, retinal problems etc. Out of these you are more likely to have astigmatism, dry eyes or retinal problem. Astigmatism is most likely. Your prescription no. might have changed and your new no. might be having a slight error. Since, the no. has changed, the previous no. is also giving you ghost images but earlier you did not have them. Next is dryness. You should use a lubricating drop like Refresh Tears and see if that helps. You can discuss it with your ophthalmologist. Thanks and regards.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.