Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I would like info regarding CATARACTS and how to deal with

Customer Question

I would like info regarding CATARACTS and how to deal with them as safely as possible. The thought of surgery on my eye(s) is very traumatic to me.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

How is your overall vision?

How much do you feel that your daily activity is affected by the cataract?

Has changing your glasses not helpful anymore?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan,

I really appreciate your help!

My overall vision is relatively alright, except I realize there is more "blurriness" when I read, especially. I am nearsighted, have an astigmatism, (years ago, wore hard contact lenses for about 10 years), quite sensitive to bright lights. My current lenses have the "sunglasses" built in for when I go outside. Also have the graduated bifocals.

Two years ago when I had my last checkup, I was told I had a cataract starting. Haven't had a checkup since. Need to go, I know.

Am concerned that if she says I need a change of lenses (which I feel I do), that if surgery is suggested in the near future, the new lenses of course, will be useless.

So, do I have a change of lenses and hope for the best for a while longer?

I like to READ a lot, am quite a researcher (nutrition and health), and especially in the evening, find it a challenge to focus on fine print. For general - day to day activities, I am still doing well, and have no major challenges.

I would so like you to write me back and tell me of some "new" supplement that would miraculously dissolve this cataract WITHOUT surgery! I am really open to ALTERNATIVE, HOLISTIC, COMPLEMENTARY, non-invasive options.

My cousin recently had cataract surgery and while that was done, also had a new lens implant so his nearsightness was corrected to 20/30. He did have some infection that followed, but now, seems to be glad he did it.

Is that a course of action YOU recommend?

I live in the North Little Rock, Arkansas area and don't know a REALLY good Eye Doctor. Can you recommend one?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is now almost 3:15pm CT

I had been waiting for a reply from Dr. Stan and after 15 minutes, the email came back and said another "Expert" would be reviewing my question.

It is now almost an hour later and I have not heard back from anyone?

I wish I could hear back from Dr. Stan - WHENEVER he is available again? Is that possible? I will come back later to check my email.

Dr. Stan, should you be able to read this, please email me at: XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Thank you so much.

Cyndy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is now almost 3:15pm CT

Thank you so much.

Cyndy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is now almost 4 pm.

I have not heard back from anyone, at all.

What do I do now?

I already put the $15 charge on Paypal and have not received any answer?

HELP, justanswer.com ?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Hello Cindy:

Thank you so much for your patience:

After thorough research and evaluation, there is really no available supplement or herb to dissolve the cataract. However, it might be interesting for you to know that antioxidants such as glutathione is abundant in the lens, and is known to decrease with the formation of cataract. So, it has been suggest that increase intake of glutathione antioxidant could slow down the formation of cataract. People are currently working on the idea.

Now, about your current situation with your early cataract and nearsightedness and history of hard contact with astigmatism. Based on your overall vision - comfortable for daily activities but more difficult focusing at near at night, I would suggest that your cataract is not very significangt at this time, that you get new glasses and use more light of close up reading. If there is no significant difference in the new glasses prescription and your current glasses, then you could continue to use this glasses for the next several months and get re-evaluated for the cataract.

If you decide to perform the cataract surgery, I would suggest that you use that opportunity to discuss the option of using the Toric implant to get rid of the astigmatism. In general, cataract removal these days is very straight forward, about 10 minutes per eye, each eye done 1-2 weeks apart. The only thing that would prevent 20/20 vision is if you have a pre-existing eye problem such as macular degeneration, glaucoma or other retinal problem. So, before you proceed with cataract, make sure the your eye doctor perform a thorough eye examination, including using the Potential Acuity Meter to give you an estimate of what your vision would be after the cataract is removed.

Again, thank you so much for your patience. God bless.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Laughing

Good Morning, Dr. Stan,

First, let me apologize for the delay in replying back to you. This is the first time I have ever used this "justanswer.com" site. I was not sure exactly how, if and when I would hear back from you. Thought I had lost YOU along the way yesterday when a screen came back saying the 15 minutes were up and my question was going out to any other Expert. I really wanted to hear back from you!

Second, I wanted to THANK YOU for doing what many Doctors do not do! You diligently took the TIME to review the alternative option(s) I was seeking. In doing so, perhaps it has enabled you to become more knowledgable in nutritional areas you may not have otherwise reviewed?

At a time in our society, when so many people just want to go to a Doctor and get a hurried prescription or a routine procedure, not having to THINK and possibly alter their lifestyle or consider researching a NATURAL path, without side effects or invasive methods (with their risks), you were wonderful to HEAR me (albeit online!), and choose to research my query.

I pray it has been a blessing to you to perhaps find a jewel somewhere in this exchange of ideas.

Since I have never done this before, was not sure if I hit the "Accept Answer" button, if I would lose all opportunity to communicate with you ever again, so that is the only reason I haven't already done so.

You are WONDERFUL! I am so impressed with your credentials and your depth of skills. Perchance, are you also "open" to more conservative, alternative options than traditional medicine offers?

I was in the Health field,(licensed, registered), a trusting, believing, convicted soul, until I nearly died from a properly prescribed drug. That scary experience caused me to "look outside my box", to prayerfully study, research and uncover SAFER alternatives for my family. Thus, I have not taken prescription drugs in over 15 years now! There ARE many other, lesser traveled paths available for the seeker of truth.

I just wanted to tell you all this because I hope to bless you back for your help to me.

I was very touched when you ended by saying: "GOD BLESS". So, I will just offer this "motherly advise" to such a fine young Doctor as I perceive you to be. Please, Dr. Stan, continue to be the outstanding Healer the Lord has prepared you to be, but if you are not already receptive to LESS "medicine" and MORE seeking Holistic, safe, integrative, natural options in your practice, I pray you will seek those possibilities, as well! You are a "treasure", in progress. I pray God will use you mightily in the days ahead.

May I ask a couple more questions,. please?

1. Regarding your suggestion of GLUTATHIONE, I am amazed!

Only a few months ago, a dear R.N. friend of mine in Orlando, encouraged me to enroll in a company (MAX GXL) that offered a superior form of Glutathione. I did so (to appease my friend), but never ordered the $69 product. Wink

Now that you have brought it back to my recollection again, I was wondering if you would help me to determine WHICH is the superior one to supplement? Can you help me research the BEST one on the market? (I tried to copy/paste you the link to that site, but it does not "paste" here.) Perhaps you can Google MAX GLX and see if you can find it. Sure would appreciate your help here. (Remember, YOU too, will benefit as you enlarge your horizons - outside your box!) What would YOU take?

2. Oh, how I wish you were not so far away from me! I would make an appointment with you in a "heartbeat"! I was wondering if you could assist me to find a very experienced, wise and highly recommended EYE Doctor in the North Little Rock, LIttle Rock, or Hot Springs, Arkansas area? (Zip codes: 72118 or 71913)

I feel sure no one, locally, will compete with YOUR outstanding resume, but IF you were living here, WHO would YOU trust with your precious eyesight? Perhaps you could find some "connections" of your peers and see whose name(s) emerge as highly recommended here?

3. Lastly, what about L Carnosine? Dr. Ward Bond, PhD, Naturopath, said to not only take it orally, but use the Eye DROPS to halt cataracts. Do you have knowledge about L Carnosine Eye Drops?

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX for your help and advise. Is there any way, in the future, if I ever wanted to contact you again, that I can do so? HOW?

Looking forward to your reply!

May GOD richly bless and keep you in His loving care, dear Dr. Stan.

Cyndy

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply.

There are other clients waiting for my answer. I did spent a lot of time assisting you yesterday. You have not even accepted me work for the time and effort a spend already. $15 (for which I get $7) does not worth the time for your many questions. May God bless you. I wish to opt out so that another expert can assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Whoops.... so sorry. Was going to increase my amount with hoped for answer.

Thanks anyway.

Best Wishes,

Cyndy

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your blessings. I really appreciate.

Maxgxl is probably the best formulation of glutathione. It is formulated with a form or precursor of glutathione "N-acetyl-cysteine" which gets absorbed without breakdown in guts. L-carosoine is no longer available in eye drops. Below are links about MAXGXL:

THE MOTHER OF ALL ANTIOXIDANTS

DISCUSSION ON MAXGXL

MORE INFO ON MAXGXL