Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I HAVE DOUBLE VISION.THIS IS CAUSED BY ABNORMAL EYE MOVEMENTS

Customer Question

I HAVE DOUBLE VISION.THIS IS CAUSED BY ABNORMAL EYE MOVEMENTS SECONDARY TO A BASE OF SCULL TUMOUR.I HAVE PARTIAL RIGHT THIRD FOURTH AND SIXTH NERVE PALSY.
MY OCULAR MISALIGNMENT IS INCOMITANT AND MY SYMPTOMS ARE UNABLE TO BE IMPROVED WITH PRISMS. IS THERE ANY TREATMENT AVAILABLE AS I AM NOW GETTING VERY DISTRESSED-AND WOULD VALUE ANY ADVICE
KIND REGARDS
Chris Bee XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Sorry to know about the tumour.

Multiple cranial nerve palsies would result in no movement of that eye in any direction and hence diplopia or double vision. To avoid double vision one option is to cover the glass in front of the right eye with paper and retain a clear glass in front of the normal eye. This will prevent double vision by closing the vision in the right eye.You can discuss this with your optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I AM ALREADY AWARE OF YOUR ANSWER
IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE
I WAS EXPECTING SOME EXPERT REPLY
I AM NOT PREPARED TO PAY £51.00 FOR THIS
I WISH TO UNSUBSRIBE
I shall opt out so that you get some expert reply to your satisfaction
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question:

As you already know, the incomitant misalignment is due to the multiple partial cranial nerve palsies. It is often difficult to correct such incomitant strabismus with prism. However, it can be corrected with surgery after careful evaluation by a strabismus eye surgeon. The approach would be first to determine that the amount of misalignment in the various direction is stable, and not still changing. In order words, is the incomitant deviations stable. If the incomitant deviations are stable based on reproducible diopter measurements, then recession and/or resect procedures of the eye muscles will be performed. Considering the multiple muscle involvement such as including medial rectus, inferior rectus, superior rectus, lateral rectus, inferior oblique and/or superior oblique muscles, it is very likely the multiple sessions of the surgery will be necessary to get the eyes corrected. I'm assuming that the skull base tumor has been removed and other further compression or extension is affecting the eye. This is can be corrected with patience in the hand of an experience eye surgeon.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon