Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Can puffy eyes be an indication of an internal illness What

Can puffy eyes be an indication of an internal illness? What are the main causes of puffy eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

If there is swelling involving the eye lids it could be a sign of systemic illnesses like kidney failure or heart failure. Puffy eyes or eye bags do not indicate systemic illness. They could be genetic or due to inadequate sleep. They are difficult to get rid of but you may see an oculoplastic surgeon for his opinion. If you feel that there is swelling involving both the upper and lower lids, you should see a physician to rule out systemic causes. Kidney and liver function test may have to be done. Other causes for lid swelling could be blepharitis, allergies etc. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.