Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Would it be possible to make RGP lenses into a liquid form

Would it be possible to make RGP lenses into a liquid form to be placesnover the eye so that it may harden over the cornea?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

RGP lenses are made up of PMMA which is hard and not possible to be made into liquid form. But newer lenses made of silicone hydrogels are being tried which are very soft. As of now there are no liquid contact lenses possible.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What are silicone hydrogels made up of- can they be altered to be changed into a liquid form?

Silicone hydrogels cannot be changed into liquid form. Further details you can get from this link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyacrylamide

Thanks and best wishes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can a polymer start off as a liquid form and harden as it touches the eye to form a type of contact lense around the cornea?
Since the newer lenses are still under experimentation, it could be possible to make liquid lenses which harden on contact with the eye in the future.

At present there is no such material available or present in the market( as we are practising ophthalmologists we get to know about products which are available and not possible to know about those under research). You will get more infomartion about such research work on the net.

Your concept is good and wish you the best with your invention.

Thanks and best wishes