Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Both eyes feel gritty, sore & sometimes very itchy. Had a cataract

Both eyes feel gritty, sore & sometimes very itchy. Had a cataract removed from left eye
two years ago which was very successful but right eye cataract now needs to be removed
& this cannot be done while there is infection/allergy. I do a lot of work with a computer
& wonder if this is causing this condition. I have a continuos supply of Hypromellose for dry eye & I, otherwise, enjoy good health (I am 87) but am wondering if I need an antibiotic now.

How long has this been going on?
When was your last eye exam?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
About 6 months. Last eye exam.15 months
Your symptoms are likely due to blepharitis, which is inflammation at the margin of your eyelids.

I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers twice a day.

Since it has been going on for some time, you may benefit from a steroid eye drop/ointment. I'd recommend you see your ophthalmologist again.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.