Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

My husband has serious vision loss from bleeding blood vessels

My husband has serious vision loss from bleeding blood vessels in the retina (he is diabetic). His specialist is considering surgery. What kind of surgery would he have and could his vision be restored with the procedure and what is the recovery time? Is the procedure painful?

Your husband probably is going to have a vitrectomy surgery. There could be a vitreous hemorrhage probably due to abnormal leaky blood vessels as a result of diabetic retinpathy. If there is retinal detachment also then it may be combined with a scleral buckling surgery as well. During surgery he will be given local anesthesia and so pain is not likely. In the post operative period he may have pain for which he will be given pain killers. Vision recovery is possible and recovery time is variable but you can expect it to be around 2 weeks. You need to discuss all this with the treating ophthalmologist as he would be knowing the details and would give you a much better answer as prognosis will depend a lot on your husband's retina status. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.