Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have very slow vision response to change in ambient light

I have very slow vision response to change in ambient light from oiutdoors to inside darkness. At night, when looking at stars or other point light source can see peripheally but not directly.

Also, i'm detected as located in Mexico and your pricing is in pesos, I need payment in dollars.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Such a condition is referred to as delayed dark adaption. Moreover looks like your night time vision is reduced. It is better to get the retina tested along with visual field analysis to know the cause. Invariably it is due to photoreceptors especially rods dysfunction.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a cause and is the dysfunction of rods reversible or amenable to stabilization?

Rod dysfunction is seen in retinal dystrophy like retinitis pigmentosa(RP), vitamin A deficiency, already undergone laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy(PRP) , high myopic degeneration. A detailed examination of the retina can help to identify the cause especially RP which is irreversible and has no definitive treatment . Vit A deficiency seems unlikely( more common in children with malnourishment).Irrespective of the cause most often rod dysfunction is irreversible and as of now has no treatment( except vit A deficiency). Anti-oxidants are usually tried for stabilisation.

Thanks and best wishes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One last question - is it a possible/probable byproduct of age? I am 70 yearsand began noticing its effects perhaps two/three years ago and attributed it to sunburn initially.

Yes a sunburn is a possibility( solar retinopathy) especially when the central vision is affected( as you said - you can see the periphery but not the object directly). But it reduces both day and night vision.

Unlikely that what you are experiencing is due to age because an age related macular degeneration (wet type) as it will cause reduced vision overall and not just delayed dark adaptation. Anyways a closer evaluation of the retina will be confirmatory .

Thanks and best wishes