Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

my dad has an eye that is bulging out and they dont seem to

Customer Question

my dad has an eye that is bulging out and they dont seem to give him any answers
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Since how long has he noticed the bulging of the eye?

Does he have any thyroid problems?

Has he undergone any tests for this such as a CT Scan/ ultrasound of the eye?

How is the vision in that eye?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has been coming on for 6 to 8 months he has had ct scans and thyroid test . he can see out of that eye but he has double vision unless he has a piece of tape over the lense on his glasses on the bulging eye

There are many conditions of the eye that cause such bulging of the eye and it is called proptosis. The commonest condition for proptosis is thyroid eye disease. It is confirmed by blood tests( T3, T4, TSH levels), CT scan can demonstrate the enlarged extraocular muscles. Some times due to severe inflammation of these muscles there can be a restrictive myopathy which can cause double vision. In such conditions that eye can be closed by taping the glasses to prevent diplopia. The treatment is anti-inflammatory medicines like oral steroids( Tab.Prednisolone 1 mg/kg body wt) in divided doses till inflammation subsides.

Other conditions which can cause proptosis include - pseudotumour orbit, orbital varices, tumours of lacrimal gland / optic nerve , orbital myositis.

A CT scan is diagnostic and can help to reach a definite diagnosis. If all reports are found to be normal then a tentative diagnosis of orbital psedotumour can be made and can be given a trial of oral steroids and radiotherapy.

You can discuss this with the treating ophthalmologist.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He was put on prednizone for 4 months but it still doesnt seem to help

If he has not responded to oral steroids then the next line of drugs is the immunosuppressants like cyclophosphamide. You can even discuss about radiotherapy.

Thanks and best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is radiotherapy?
Radiotherapy , also called Radiation therapy is used in the treatment of proptosis due to thyroid eye disease/ pseudotumour of the orbit. Here an external beam of radiation is applied on the orbital tissue so that there is shrinkage of the tissue.

Thanks and best wishes.