Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

my right eye..rather large broken lblood vessel in my eye that hurts

I am a 61yr. old female, today, I had a sharp pain in my right eye that only lasted a second. But now I have a rather large broken lblood vessel in my eye that hurts? This is the second time this has happened. Should I be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

It appears blood and broken vessel you are describing is a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when the delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva bleed, often from minor trauma such as eye rubbing.

A subconjunctival may have some discomfort but should not be painful. Since it you are having pain, I'd recommend you see your eye doctor. If the pain is significant, you should visit an urgent care for evaluation. In the meantime, use artificial tears to soothe your eyes and reduce any irritation.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.