Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

more than 15 minutes, my eyes get exteremly tired to the point..sweat

After working on the computer or even reading for more than 15 minutes, my eyes get exteremly tired to the point that I am unable to see well. Over time I have tried various techniques to solve this issue to include: drinking lots of coffe or lots of water.

I am 51 and exercise 5 days per week, where I sweat a lot. I also use vitamin; MegaGreen, B-50, and fish oil. I have seen the Optometrist who examined and found an healthly eye. She had concerns about spots on both eye that may indicate glucoma, and I am scheduled for a visual fill text in two weeks. I really do not think that I have glucoma at this time, because I am able to view objects from the side well.

The optometrist adviced that I should take frequent breaks. I have tried this, but I would need to take more that short breaks to help my sitution.

Help please

Concerned person

You should see an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist. If there is a doubt of glaucoma then it should be ruled out. You could be having severe dryness in your eyes. The other possibility is a refractive error for which you would need prescription glasses. Even though I have not examined you but you're likely to be having computer vision syndrome. Lubricating drops like Systane or Refresh Tears should be used frquently. While working you should try to blink in between as that is reduced and adds to dryness. Also give rest to your eyes in between. The level of the computer screen should be lower than your eyes level so that the eyes do not open widely. Thabks and best wishes.

Follow-up questions, if any, are welcome.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I stop using coffee?
No, you can continue drinking coffee. I do not think it will help. Please, follow other advices and see an ophthalmologist to rule out glaucoma and for confirmation of the diagnosis of computer vision syndrome. Thanks and best wishes.