Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Lately anytime I put my contacts in, my eyes become blood shot

Lately anytime I put my contacts in, my eyes become blood shot and irritated. I have disposables, so I threw out old pair, used new ones and the same thing happened with my eyes. I even tried another pair, same thing. I have to wear my glasses now and am not happy about that at all. Is there a reason that I can not wear my contact more than 1 hour before my eyes become irritated? Also when I do remove the contacts, it takes 3-4 days for my eyes to return to normal appearance.

I do not believe the problem is allergies. I've never had this problem. The first time I thought it was pink eye, so just stopped wearing contacts until eyes cleared up. After going through 2 more pairs of disposable contacts, I do not believe that is the problem either. I do not have insurance yet and am eligible for Medicare in June 2010. I really need to see an eye dr. I believe, but can not afford the visit.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

It appears you have a contact lenses associated allergy called giant papillary conjunctivitis (GPC). This is thought to be a reaction to the protein deposits on the contact lenses, not the contact lens material itself. Switching to disposable contact lenses helps. If there is still significant intolerance to the contact lenses, then you may need to switch to daily disposable contact lenses.

Improvement of the GPC can be difficult, especially if the patient gets back into contact lens use too quickly. It is helpful to stay out of contact lenses for a few weeks to allow the inflammation to improve. That in conjunction with the steroid eye drops will help reduce the inflammation.

I'd recommend you see your optometrist for evaluation. They often have cash prices which are very reasonable.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.