Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

Ive got the problem with my eyes in January 2010. Symptoms

Customer Question

I've got the problem with my eyes in January 2010. Symptoms were mainly clear discharge from the eyes, like watery eyes. No redness. Ophthalmologist said it is probably virus. Prescribe artificial tears and scrubbing the lids. Then the symptoms got worse: In the morning- a lot of discharge ,crusts and eyes were so sticky ,that I can't open them without warm compress.
Ophthalmologist prescribe Erythromycin oilment in the eyes 2/25/2010. The next day eyes became very red and a lot of discharge. No itching. I used it 7 days,then discontinued.The symptoms became worse. Sticky discharge, redness, tearing all day. The doctor said again it is virus. 3/17/2010 he took a swab from , and prescribe Tobramicine drop 4 time per day for 10 days No improvement.3/29/2010 he said that I have a bug ( Serratia marcescens ) and should continue Tobramicine for 7 more days,prescribed Azitromycine tablets by mouth every week for 3 weeks 2nd week,no improvement What's my prognosis? Is it treatable?
Irene
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

Your symptoms are highly suggestive of blepharitis to me. Crusts, stickiness, redness, watering are all suggestive of that. You may require a course of oral doxycycline. Along with this warm compresses need to be done frequently. A preservative free lubricating drop like Refresh tears should also be used. It is often difficult to treat severe cases of blepharitis but it is certainly treatable and doxycyline course is very likely to help. You can discuss it with your ophthalmologist or see another one. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.
Serratia marcescens may cause conjunctivitis, keratitis, tear duct infections and endophthalmitis. It is often associated with the use of contact lens. The infection may be confirmed by conjunctival scraping and sending it for culture. It's not clear from your question whether the infection by Sarratia was confirmed or not. It is usually treated with anti-biotics and the culture report also tell the anti-biotic which would be effective. It can certainly be treated. Now, your problems are more likely to be due to blepharitis. Thanks and best wishes.

Edited by Dr.S Riaz on 4/4/2010 at 9:28 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, Serrattia marcensens was confirm from labarotory. Culture report also tell the susceptible antibiotic. Tobramacine is one of them.(topical) Used 17 days, no effect.Oral antibiotic Zytromax- 2 pills per week for 3 weeks.After 1st week the symptoms were aggravated for couple of days,then back to previous conditions. My lids are clear, no crusts near the eyelashes.In the morning a lot of discharge,sticky and eyes full with jelly, some crusting under the eyes. Pink eyes all the time, and during the day I need to remove sticky discharge in the corner of the eyes all the time. May be it tear duct infection?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

I would advise you to get a repeat lab diagnosis to confirm whether it is still the same infection or now other organism is causing it. Tear duct infection can be caused by Serratia and it may cause dacryocystitis. However, it would be prudent to repeat the lab diagnosis. You can discuss it with your ophthalmologist. Thanks and best wishes.