Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Last July I went to have my eyes checked for new glasses, I

Customer Question

Last July I went to have my eyes checked for new glasses, I was told that I had cataracts, (the Doctor told me that he couldn't give me a prescription because the best my eyes could be corrected with glasses would be around 20/80 or 20/100). In November I made an appointment to have the cataracts removed, I went through all the necessary testing and measurements, including a retina scan. During the pre-op testing the Doctor said I have something going on with my retinas. I went to another Doctor for a second opinion, He said the same exact thing, including something with the retinas. In December some more testing was done, then I went in for the operation, Dec. 22, the left eye, Dec. 29, the right eye, standard lens' placed in both. The following day I went in for check-ups. I spoke to a couple other people, they told me their eyes were at 20/20, but my eyes hurt and I couldn't see as well as before the operations. As it turned out, I have JFT. What are my options, can it be fixed?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Juxtafoval telangectasia (JFT) is a retinal degeneration in which there are small new blood vessels growing in the area of the macular around the center of vision (fovea). This was likely there before the cataract. Cataract removal does not usually cause JFT. Using potential acuity meter your doctor could have been able to determine prior to the cataract removal what is your estimated level of vision after the surgery. With such abnormal finding (JFT) there is a higher risk of developing mild swelling (with fluid) under the macular after cataract removal. You vision will likely improve but may take more time (several months), and it is possible that there could remain some deficient due to a prior effect of the JFT. I suggest that your doctor consider intraocular kenalog (steroid) injections and continued use of topical mild steroid (Lotemax, Alrex or FML) and/or non-steroidal drops to help in improving your vision.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Stan,

I was actually looking, from you, a statement that the cateract surgery should not have been performed until the retina issue had been corrected, as two other doctors have stated. I paid this doctor $10,000 to correct my eye sight, he told me that I could probably expect 20/20 and the need readers for close up. I know how the basic operation of the eye works.

I told this doctor that my job entails close-up inspection of defects in metal molds. I also stated that I have started a photography business, to be continued after I retire, I have been in photography for 39 years. My eye sight is very important to me. can those implants be removed after retinal stabilization? My eyes were better before. thanks for a reply.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Since there was a question about the state of the retina, I agree that the cataract surgery should have been put on hold until the issue about JFT was resolved. But with your vision at 20/80 or 20/100 at the time with the cataracts, it appeared that there was a good desire for removing the cataracts. However, I believe that the doctor should have informed about your higher risk of less vision 20/20 and post-op complication due to the JFT. In addition, such risk should make the doctor to be more aggressive with the use of pre-op drops of topical steroid and/or non-steroidal drops to less the risk of post-op complication. I truly understand your frustration, especially after paying all that money.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Since there was a question about the state of the retina, I agree that the cataract surgery should have been put on hold until the issue about JFT was resolved. But with your vision at 20/80 or 20/100 at the time with the cataracts, it appeared that there was a desire for removing the cataracts. However, I believe that the doctor should have informed about your higher risk for less vision 20/20 after cataract removal and post-op complication due to the JFT. In addition, such risk should make the doctor to be more aggressive with the use of pre-op drops of topical steroid and/or non-steroidal drops to less the risk of post-op complication. I truly understand your frustration, especially after paying all that money.