Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I am facing surgery to remove an epiretinal membrane. How

I am facing surgery to remove an epiretinal membrane. How long after surgery can I see positive results. Does this surgery ever fail to result in better vision?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

After epiretinal membrane peel (ERM) you can begin to experience positive result such as less blurred vision and improved vision clarity within few (1-2) weeks of the procedure. There can be a possible failure when the epiretinal membrane is extensive with strongly adherent scar tissue that the vision cells in the area of the ERM are no longer viable. In such cases, it is not that the procedure failed, but rather that the membrane had caused irreversible damaged to the vision cells (photoreceptors). In such case, there would still be some improvement, but may be not to your expectation.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your informative answer which I accept. Is there anyway to determine the condition of the photo cells before surgury. Also is the pucker generally slow developing? I hate to lose my remaining vision if I have the surgury. My other eye received the same surgery and I lost my center vision.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply:

You can request EOG testing to determine the state of the photoreceptors under the ERM. In general, the ERM tend to grow very slowly, however, if you have other medical problem such as diabetes or eye inflammation, it can grow faster. I understand that this is a difficult decision. You are doing the right thing by investigating your options thoroughly.