Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

my left eye has an astigmatism, lately it has been jerking

my left eye has an astigmatism, lately it has been jerking to the left by itself. any ideas as to what could be happening?

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptoms of eyes imbalance called intermittent exotropia. The astigmatism can significantly contribute to this symptom. Stress or fatigue can make it worse. To significant resolve this problem, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation with refraction for new glasses (with prism), in addition to evaluating and demonstrating to you certain eye exercises the could be beneficial to you.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the difference between nystagmus and intermittent exotropia?
Thank you for your reply:

In general, nystagmus is uncontrolled jerking of the eye, but it would often involved both eyes and not one eye as in your case. Astigmatism would not cause nystagmus. Nystagmus tend to be a problem in the brain control of eye movement, and may suggests other problem other than the eye jerking. Medications can also cause nystagmus. On the other hand, intermittent exotropia tend to occur in one eye than both eyes. Astigmatism can bring it out or make it worse. There is usually no associated brain condition. If intermittent exotropia starts suddenly it is not all that worrisome as it is understood that eye muscle fatigue can cause it. If your symptom of jerking is constant, then it is more likely to be nystagmus. If is on and off, then it is more likely to be intermittent exotropia.