Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My eye was red and very painful so I went to the eye doctor

My eye was red and very painful so I went to the eye doctor and she prescribed Tobradex eye drops. The infection went away but I noticed that my eyelid is drooping now. It's been about a week with no change. I went back to the eye doctor yesterday and she said she doesn't know why it's like that and gave me some lubricating eye drops. Is this normal? Is it likely to go away?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

You can have a droopy eyelid if your eyes are still irritated. It can be a protective mechanism for the eyelid to droop. If there is still some swelling of the eyelid, that can cause the eyelid to appear droopy as well.

It should return to normal as the inflammation resolves. Continue to use the lubricating eye drops. If the droopiness persists despite the inflammation being completely resolved, see your ophthalmologist again for a re-evaluation.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.