Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have now got a few floaters, which Ive not had for years,

I have now got a few floaters, which I've not had for years, but I also have a wavy line that moves like I've got a hair blowing in front of my eye, and now I've noticed, what I can only describe as, an opaque shape that moves from side to side. Is this indicative of retina problems?

Welcome to Just Answer

Floaters in the eye could be due to posterior vitreous detachment , in which the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached. Usually it is harmless and does not require any treatment. Only if the detachment leads to retinal tear or hole then it can progress to a retinal detachment which is characterised by sudden decrease in vision or more like a curtain falling in the line of vision. This can only be detected by a detailed retina examination by an ophthalmologist.

It is better to get your eyes examined once to know the status of the retina though you do not have any signs suggestive of any retinal detachment

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.