Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

my left eye vision..dizzy feeling and tightness in the chest and neck

In the past 2 or 3 hours, I have had 2 occasions in which my left eye vision became significantly less than normal. The first, about 3 hrs. ago, I noticed a dizzy feeling and tightness in the chest and neck. The left eye vision became cloudy and blurred to the extent that I could not read. This lasted probably a minute but not much longer
The second occurred about 45 minutes ago with the same dizziness and tight chest and neck but the vision was much worse. In looking at a lamp, it had sunburst appearance in bright yellow and orange. Looking at the TV, about 1/2 of the viewing area appeared to be blocked out by the same sunburst image.
I checked my blood pressure 3 times and the readings were 127/71, pulse 62, 121/70, pulse 60, and 122/71, pulse 62.
I am 72 yrs old, male, take coumadin, simvastatin, atenelol, have had lasix eye surgery some 7 or 8 yrs ago. Hospitalized with blood clots about 2 1/2 yrs ago.
Got any ideas?

Welcome to Just Answer

Such episodes of brief loss of vision can occur in hypertensives- as in a branch retinal artery occlusion. Sometimes the small embolus which blocks the artery may get dislodged on its own and restore vision. It involves a small branch of the retinal artery. It has to be confirmed by a retinal examination by an ophthalmologist.

The other condition where such reduced vision can occur is in an ocular migraine whci may or maynot be associated with a headache. It has a scintillating scotoma(similar to one you experienced). Prophylactic treatment includes tab.Flunarizine 10 mg once a day for 1 month.

But keeping in mind your hypertensive status and medication, along with the tightness in the chest and neck, I would recommend an early eye examination to rule out a branch retinal artery occlusion. Eye lesions( emboli) are precursors to embolic phenomenon elsewhere in the body especially the heart. A routine check up with your physician will help.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.