Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My 31 year old daughter is a diabetic. She has a very bad

My 31 year old daughter is a diabetic. She has a very bad cold- and just called me to say that she had a bad coughing spell and vomited. Now she said she is seeing a red smear -not seeing it in a mirror- but it is actually part of her vision-she can still see everything. What should she do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that she has unintentionally ruptured one or more tiny blood vessels inside her eye. This can happen with valsalva such as coughing, sneezing or vomiting which exerts pressure inside the eye. In general, this is not harmful, and will resolve. However, she would need a closer evaluation of the back of her eye by the eye doctor, especially since she it diabetic. It would be necessary to exclude any diabetic eye disease. The blood streak will reabsorb in the next few weeks. So, I suggest that she follow-up with her eye doctor in the morning or sooner if it gets worsen or her vision worsen. In the meantime, she can use preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal drop 4 times daily to comfort her eye.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.