Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

my daughter has been bleeding from her right eye off and on

Customer Question

my daughter has been bleeding from her right eye off and on since March 7th. We have had numberous visits to the ER for x-rays, CAT scans, and several more visits to regular GP docs, eye dics, and now a neuro-optha. doc who wants to do exploratory eye surgery to "See whats going on." This is not a few tears, it literally runs down her face. She gets really bad headaches and complains her eye is hurting all the time. Now her right cheek is red and warm to the touch. This happened Monday and I took her to the neuro-optha doc who said...."Interesting, we will have to see what we find during surgery." Any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I need a few explanations to answer the question -

When you say " she bleeds from her eye" , do you mean her tears are blood colored? Is it profuse and throughout the day? What have her CT Scan and X- rays revealed?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the x-rays and cat scans showed nothing. We can not see any blood coming from her tear duct. It seems to come from the inner (near the nose) muscular tissue. This is not tears, it is dark red, thick blood that sometimes comes out a little and other times will run all the way down her face to her chin. There are a few days where there is no bleeding. I would say at least 4-5 days a week there are bleeding episodes. These can be one time or as many as 4 times in a single day. When it started, it only happened when she would lay down, so we started making sure she rested at a 45 degree angle, but now, it can happen at any time, sitting, standing, or laying down.
I can understand your anxiety and will try to give some information in this regard.

Blood in the tears is a very rare condition and rarely reported too. It is called Haemolacria . The exact cause may not be known in many individuals. The causes mentioned in literature are tumours of the lacrimal gland/lacrimal apparatus, bacterial conjunctivitis, injury to lacrimal apparatus, bleeding diasthesis.

As no abnormality was detected in her case inspite of CT scan and X-rays, it would be difficult to pin-point the cause. You can follow this link to see if it can help you -

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.