Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

A week ago I got bit by some bug on my forehead and eyebrow.

A week ago I got bit by some bug on my forehead and eyebrow. The bit sites are healing up, but my left eye is bloodshot with watery discharge that builts up and dry in the morning.
What is it and what should I do?

Is the vision affected?

Is there any itching?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Vision is not affected--- no itching either,but it feels irritated behind or in the eye. Not severe-- just like some added pressure.

More of the bloodshot is on the lower half of the eye, and the bottom, the lower lid is full of thick liquid.

Is the discharge purulent(pus like) or watery?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, it's not pus. It's watery, but a little thicker than water. It's really not too bad. I just didn't want to wait if it's going to get worse. Would something like this clear up on it's own?

There are a few possibilities with these symptoms. The first one is allergy. If it is so it is likely to clear on it's own but using an anti-allergic drop like Pataday 2 times a day should help.

The second possibility could be a blocked tear duct. It will not clear on it's own. You will have to see an ophthalmologist to check the patency of tear passage.

The third possibility is ectropion i.e. turning out of the lower lid due to which the tear film can not come in contact with the tear duct opening present on the lid and as a result tears do not get drained and collect under the lower lid. It will also not clear on it's own.

Last possibility could be viral conjunctivitis which may resolve within a week or so.

You should see an ophthalmologist for confirmation of the diagnosis as it has already been a week. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be apprecaited.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am going to accept this consultation-- but please tell me.

This all started with the insect bit on my forehead. I don't have allergies or anything else. The bit marks on my head are healing, no infection. Will I typically need antibiotics to clear up my eye?

The symptoma are not suggestive of bacterial conjunctivitis(discharge would have been purulent) in which case antibiotic drops are needed. You do not seem to require them. Though examination is important to say that with surity. Thanks and best wishes.