Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My son awoke screaming and wiping his eye on my shoulder

My son awoke screaming and wiping his eye on my shoulder. He had a fever the past 2 days and now has conjestion. He appears to be in pain. What could it be?

With symptom of fever and redness in eye the possibilities are -

- conjunctivitis or pink eye - children can develop viral eye flu (usually in one eye) after a couple of days of fever, cough, cold etc

- an injury of foreign body in the eye while sleeping

He would need to be evaluated by his doctor. In the meantime, give him an oral anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen/tylenol. Apply cold compresses on eye if his fever is under control and you can use lubricating eye drops like genteal, refresh tears etc(available over the counter) to help his irritation.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He was blinking funny when he had a fever. I am having eye pain also. Could I have gotten viral pink eye from him?

Yes, viral conjunctivitis is very contagious. Ideally, hand sanitizers should be used frequently by members coming in contact with the infected patient.

Regards