Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

burning, stinging, itching, excessively watering, tenderness

Customer Question

burning, stinging, itching, excessively watering, tenderness in eyelids, undereye area.
Have tried many eye drops with no good results. Allergy OR ???
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

It is likely that you are experiencing the persisting symptoms of ocular allergy associated with blepharitis (infection with inflammation of the eyelid). To significantly resolve this the best option is a combination of eyelid hygiene with diluted baby shampoo, warm compresses twice daily, doxycycline 100mg twice daily for 14 days (from your eye doctor to eradicate any bacteria on the eyelids that is inciting the inflammation), over the counter Zaditor eye drop (for allergy and inflammation) twice daily and the preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal drop 4 times daily for 14 days, then as needed thereafter. I suggest that you follow-up with eye doctor for closer evaluation for blepharitis and a prescription for doxycycline.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.