Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

What is retinal dystrophy and can it be cured Diagnosed by

What is retinal dystrophy and can it be cured? Diagnosed by an opthamologist after several weeks of testing.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Retinal dystrophy is an inherited eye disease that affects the back of the eye (the cells that help us process vision). In retinal dystrophies it tend to worsen with time. There are many retinal dystrophies. In general, the treatments are focused toward slowing down the rate of progression. Part of this treatment can include the use of special eye vitamins such as I-caps which has been shown to slow the progression as age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) by 25 percent. Though the study was conducted with ARMD, it is often applied or recommended to many patients with other forms of retinal dystrophies and degeneration. I suggest that you ask you eye doctor the specific type of retinal dystrophy. Often genetic testing may be performed to determine the specific form of retinal dystrophy.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.