Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

i need to consult an opthalmologist about this condition What

i need to consult an opthalmologist about this condition

What is considered light flash as symptoms of retina detachment?

Recently, at NIGHT when I look at the traffic lights or headlights or any street lights, I see streak of long, thin light only when blinking and only for that second, the streak of light is the same color as the light I look at.

Example: I"m looking at the green traffic light, when I blink, I see a flash of the long, thin streak of green light for only that second; however, when I hold it with my eyes half close, I can see the long ray of green stay there.

Day Time: this only happen with those bright light/sun light or bright headlights, same thing as described above.

Is this consider light flashing as symptoms of Retina Detachment as an emergency condition?

More information about me: currently being treated for severe dry eyes with RESTASIS and artificial tears eye drops. I see halos and bad glare with lights and checked and no glaucoma.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Flashes of light are indicative of retinal irritation. The common cause of this is Posterior vitreous detachment(PVD), in which the gel at the back of the eye detaches.In the mean while it causes a traction on the retina and results in flashes of light. It is relatively harmless and does not need any treatment.

Retinal detachment can occur if the PVD results in a retinal tear or hole. It is manifested by a sudden reduction in the field of vision or like a curtain falling in the line of vision. You need to consult an ophthalmologist who can do a detailed retinal examination to rule out any of these possibilities.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But the streak of light I see when blink is the same color as the traffic light, for example, green traffic light will see green streak when blink.

I always thought the flashes of light as signs of retina detachment is bright white light? so light flashes can come in any color, the same color as the object? I'm a little confuse that's why I need to find out, thanks very much doctor, I will click on accept

Flashes of light are bright white light or any color depending on the colour of the stimulus light . Flashes are more common in a dark background. The color of the flash of light may not seem very important for the diagnosis.

You have mentioned halos and glare also in your symptoms, which are seen in glaucoma ( not in your case as it has already been ruled out after an eye check up) and seen in early cataract. Though cataract seem unlikely considering your age, but still there are many other types of cataracts which can occur at younger age too which need to be tested.

To summarise you need to get tested for the status of retina and to check out any early signs of cataract( for example complicated cataract, steroid induced cataract can occur with chronic use of steroids for some other ailment in the body.)

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 3/9/2010 at 4:02 PM EST
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince