Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

tearing..time it only affects my right eye and nostril

This is occurring for the sixth time now. My right eye is excessively tearing and my right nostril is excessively runny. This has happened six other times and each time it only affects my right eye and nostril. At the height of each of these episodes my eye is bloodshot and it looks like I might have pink eye. My right nostril runs so much that I can go through a box of puffs in about 12 hours. I've taken Claritin, Claritin D, Sudafed and Benydryl... not at the same time, but none of these seem to do anything. The symptoms have lasted as little as 6-8 hours and as long as 2-3 days. Twice the symptoms have started in the middle of the night.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing chronic sinus inflammation and pressure on the right. The sinuses connect the nose and the eye on each side. Since your current medications have not been effective, there is a need for a closer evaluation with a CT Scan of the sinuses to exclude sinus bone infection. If you are found to have chronic sinus inflammation without infection, then more aggressive steriod inhaler, such as Flonase, Nasonex or other can be prescribed in addition to Allegra-180 D or Humibid PSE (more effective than those you have used) to help resolve this problem. If the doctor find infection, the antibiotics such as Augmentin 875 mg twice daily for 14 days can be prescribed to you by your doctor to hel resolve this.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes, it does matter that it involves two parts and not all. Leukocytes includes neutrophils, monocytes, lymphocyte and eosinophils. The fact that neutrophils is affected mostly suggest that the component of the immune system affected is limited to that responsible for the generation of the neutrophils.

MRSA bacteria infection is defended predominantly by the neutrophils. The underlying cause could be deficiency in specific IgG, IgD or IgM production. By testing for the blood level of these antibodies the doctor would gain more insight in the plan for treatment.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Some more information... sorry I didn't include the first time. These six episodes have occurred over the past year and half. The symptoms dry up as if nothing had happened. My last episode, which was the worst one, happened 2.5 months ago and lasted close to three days. Then in went away have not had ANY symptoms like this until this morning. It also does feel like there is an irritant in my nose. When I breath in deeply through my nose, it definately aggravates the irritant and that's when my eyes will gush with tears. To me it seems more allergy based, but the weirdest part is that it has only ever happened on the right side. I'm also not running any fever nor do I have any other symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply.

In that case, the ENT specialist needs to closely evaluate the inferior and middle turbinates of the right nostril for any sore tissue that gets irritated easily. If that is to be the case, still Flonase or Nasonex inhaler would be beneficial in resolving the symptoms.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon