Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My 22 year old son has one eye that dialates more than the

My 22 year old son has one eye that dialates more than the other. It is causing his vision to be messed up and sever headaches. What could be causing this and should he go to an optometrist or a gen. practioner? He doesn't have any insurance.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that he is experiencing the symptom of sleep deprivation on the eyes. In general, there can be about 2mm difference in the size of the pupil between the eyes. With lack of sleep, the body produces lot of chemicals called catecholamines which is known to cause eye dilation. Therefore, if there was a previously small difference in the pupil can now become more obvious and noticable. However, it would still be necessary for the eye doctor to evaluate him closely to exclude any other problem. I suggest that he get good sleep, and avoid excess coffee (in case he drinks), and use ovefr the counter Refresh tears 4 times daily - and plan to see his doctor in 1 week if the fails to resolve, or sooner if he starts having pain or decreased vision.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
You are welcomed. Thanks.