Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

My grandson age 7 has been diagnosed with juvenile x-linked

Customer Question

My grandson age 7 has been diagnosed with juvenile x-linked retinoschisis.Is there a possible treatment or laser operation to prevent detachment of the retina or to stop the process from getting any worse
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry to hear that your grandson has juvenile x-linked retinoschisis. Unfortunately there is no possible laser or other treatment to prevent detachment of retina. This is why it is important to regularly see an ophthalmologist so that if a detachment occurs it can be crrected by surgery as early cases carry a better prognosis. To read more on this you can follow this link - Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the answer i got from your expert is one i have received from several others. i was hoping for a more positive result
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, the medical science has not progressed so much that something positive can be promised to you at this point of time. May be in the coming years something positive may come up. Very few people with retinoschisis go blind though. May God bless your grandson!
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Gene therapy may offer a therapeutic option in future as it is showing good results on animal models. Laser was performed to flatten peripheral schis cavities and also decrease the risk of detachment but in many cases it caused retinal detachment itself. I hope, that helps.Thanks.