Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have blepharitis and am not seeing relief from the normal

I have blepharitis and am not seeing relief from the normal regimine of warm water on eyelids, lid scrub, etc. I am not wearing makeup or contacts. Everything I read says that it is not cureable. Is there some type of homeopathic remedy that I may be missing so I can wear makeup and contacts again.

Can you recommend any specific brand of makeup that your blepharitis patients wear that does affect them?

I would like an anser by a Dermatologist please.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer: I really feel you frustration.

The best and most effective additions to the lidscrubs and warm compresses include the use of preservative free tears (Refresh or Genteal) 4 times daily, Doxycycline 100 mg oral twice daily for 2 weeks (by prescription). During the first 1 week, also request a prescription for Zylet eye drop from your doctor and use it 4 times daily for 1week. There is no other effective homoepathic remedy better than lidscrub, warm compresses and tear drops, except for the use of doxycycline and Zylet drops.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i already use zylet when the symptoms persist more than a few days and don't get any better, but zylet is a steroid and i would prefer not to use it.

Why is the refresh tears so good for blepharitis? What does it do? Do I use it everyday for the rest of my life-or just when it is tearing? Does it make it tear more when I use the drops or less?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply.

You can leave out Zylet since you used it already.

Blephritis caused the tear production to become abnormal - such
that cornea reflex causes the tear glands to make more tear in
in order to provide the normalize the tear film.

Due to the persisting blephritis causing the abnormal tear composition, the excess tearing continues.

The goal of the Refresh is to provide a close to normal tear composition and so cause the excess reflex tearing to stop.

The goal of the Doxycycline is the kill the bacteria on the eyelid/lashes causing the bephritis.

The Zylet contain tobramycin antibiotic and mild steroid to provide added effect in the reduction of eyelid inflammation due to the blephritis. It is only for added effect, you do not have to use it. The doxycycline and the other treatments should be okay.

Once this is properly resolved, the you would only need the Refresh tears on as needed basis only, and for the rest of your life.

lease, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.