Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

I have noticed within the last 2 years, my right eyelid has

I have noticed within the last 2 years, my right eyelid has been constantly swollen and covering my pupil, making my right eye significantly smaller than the left. I have gotten my eye exam but the result was normal. My PCP said it was allergy but all the otc eye drops did not help. I also have trigeminal neuralgia and starting to worry. My catscan is next month. Any suggestion? Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

Kindly give some more information regarding your question-
- is your eyelid swollen or you are not able to fully open the upper eyelid/
- are there any other symptoms like redness, itching etc?

- are there any symptoms in the other eye?

- what OTC eye drops did you use?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
only the right eyelid is swollen (markly bigger than the left), sometimes itchy causing me to rub. I don't sleep on that side of my face. i have facial pain on that side of my face also. the right eye twitches alot too. no redness, no crusting or discharge. the left eye/eyelid is perfectly normal. I have compared pictures of now and in the last 5 years, major difference!!! I have used ophth-con A, zaditor. every morning when waking up, its hard to open the right eye, like its lazy and I have slept on it, but I didn't. thank you.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the information. Given your symptoms, it does not seem like an allergy. Allergy usually affects both the eyes. If the swelling is that significant, then you need to be evaluated to rule out other possibilities like filaments on cornea (due to excessive dryness), a chlazion on the upper eyelid.

Also, since you have difficulty opening eye in the morning - is a sign of dryness of eyes. I would advise you to use lubricating eye drops like genteal, systane (available OTC), Also, before going to sleep use lubricating eye gel like genteal eye gel. This should help your symptoms, but you do need a re-evaluation.