Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

my son had impaired peripheral vision on his right eye this

my son had impaired peripheral vision on his right eye this morning, unable to see to his right and subsequently intense pain to his left eye and then he vomited. After that he his just fine. He had no headache or other pains, Please advice..
Ed
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that your son experienced a change in vision in the right and pain in the left eye due to a transient spike in eye pressure (acute ocular hypertension). This can happen if eye is strained, transient viral infection or sinus problem, especially in a person at risk for glaucoma (eye problem with nerve changes and/or blockade of eye fluid drainage).

It is important that he follow-up with his eye doctor for complete eye examination - to check his eyes pressure, optic nerve inside the eye and exclude any retinal problem. In addition, his doctor should consider evaluation with carotid doppler ultrasound, ECG and echocardiography to exclude any related cardiovascular event.

In the meantime, in communication with his doctor, over the counter Zaditor eye drop
twice daily will help soothe his eye and quiet any background inflammation.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had the symptoms in the eyes revesed (i guess it shoul not matter) it was the right eye that that had intense pain and at the same time his right ear hurt badlly but after throwing up everything went away and he is now perfectly fine. What could have caused the vomiting?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply:

In your question you wrote that the pain was in the left eye. The fact that it is all in the right eye makes it still possible to be increase eye pressure. Vomiting is a common symptom of increased eye pressure. However, with the involvement ear pain, it may suggest transient sinus pressure that caused increased eye pressure as well as ear pressure. In that case, there is no significant concern as this is unlikely to recur.

Though he has recovered fully now, it is important to understand and confirm why this happen and prevent it for next time. If he is found to have narrow drainage and iris root too close to the drainage of the eye fluid, then laser can be used to make a small opening in the periphery of the iris and prevent such possibility again.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon