Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I wear contacts and have an eye irritation above the iris.

I wear contacts and have an eye irritation above the iris. It is leaking this morning and still irritated.

Irritation of the eye could indicate an infection of the eye. It requires a course of antibiotic eye drops like vigamox eye drops ,1drop 6 times a day for 1 week.
In the meanwhile you must discontinue the wear of contact lenses till the eye is clear of infection.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Dr. Desai,

Thank you soo much for your quick response. I suppose that vigamox is only available by prescription? Is there anything over the counter that I could use?

Dana David

Hello Dana David,

Yes Vigamox is available by prescription. I believe the commonly prescribed antibiotics are not available OTC. You can enquire with the local pharmacist for an antibiotic available OTC like Optrex infected eye drops( chloramphenicol) for the time being. Though this is not the first line of therapy as of now.You can meet your doctor for a valid prescription at the earliest.

You can avoid warm compresses which can aggravate a bacterial conjunctivitis.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai