Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

my wife had a lens replacement and seemed fine and was told

my wife had a lens replacement and seemed fine and was told she would need only one pair of spectacles,approx two weeks later she has blurred vision,pain in and around the eye socket and is told that she has DRY eyes causing spotting on the cornea and will now require three pairs of spectactles and will need to put refresh drops in her eye daily.Her age is 73
Can anything be done,is this usual with a lens replacement
Any advice appreciated

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that she is experiencing dry cornea from residual inflammation from the surgery. In general, the inflammation of the surgery can often take up to 4 weeks to completely resolve, sometimes a little more if the cataract was dense, which may cause more trauma to the eye during removal. It is usually recommended that the drops, steroid, non-steroid and tear drops be used up to 4 weeks after surgery, but with tapering dosage, in order to allow complete resolution of the background inflammation. This often prevents the corneal dryness and the affect on refraction for glasses. If she has the cornea spotting, that will affect her glasses prescription. It is best to clear it before getting the final glasses.

In general, the cornea tends to dry more during the period of recovery as the tear film is much thinner. Now, it is important to exclude that she has not developed any scar tissue on the lens which require wiping off with laser. If that is the case, it can be cleaned after 6 weeks at least so as to ensure all has formed. The can occur if the inflammation after the surgery was not poorly controlled. I suggest that she follow-up with her doctor and request for evaluation for any development of scar tissue from inflammation after surgery.

In addition, to speed the resolution of the corneal spotting, aggressive use of tear drop (preservative free - such as Refresh or Genteal). Also, she should be evaluated for any blephritis (inflammation of the eyelids) which can often be the source of the spotting. This can be treated with doxycycline 100 mg orally twice daily for 14 days in addition to gentle eyelid hygiene with diluted baby shampoo. In about 2-4 weeks her eyes should be more better for very good refraction for glasses. In general, the management of after lens replacement depends on the individual patient.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.