Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

capillaries..eyes..majority of the redness and blood disappeared..iris

In 1994 i flew longhaul with the flu, and ended up with burst capillaries - so the appearance of bleeding across the surface in both eyes. The majority of the redness and blood disappeared over the course of a month, but still, 16 years later i am left with thin broken veins to the left and right of both iris. This makes me look constantly tired, drunk, or even worse gives the impression of being stoned!

Is there anything i can do to have them removed. I am in very good health otherwise and apart from being slightly short sighted i have confirmed i have no problems with either eye.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Prominent vessels for such a long duration on either side of the iris, indicate a chronic inflammation of the conjunctiva in that region. It could have developed into pterygium (chronic degeneration of the conjunctiva due to exposure to UV radiation/dust). These vessels are unlikely to disappear with any kind of treatment with medications.

At the most decongestive drops like oxymetazoline eye drops will relieve the congested vessels( 1 drop 4 times a day).

If the blood vessels appear elevated with fibrous tissue then it can be excised( not otherwise) and recurrence prevented with autograft.You can get your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist for confirmation and further treatment.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.