Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Ophthalmology My wife, 59 years old says that she now sees

Ophthalmology: My wife, 59 years old says that she now sees objects bigger or larger, like an ocular distortion. There is no blurred vision, loss of vision (central or peripheral), no double vision, or any other symptom. Her blood sugar is normal. She needs glasses to read, and this may have gotten a little worse lately. She is not a migraine sufferer. She is taking HCTZ (diuretic) and Coreg (a beta blocker) for hypertension, well controlled. What could cause her to now see objects that appear bigger or larger?

Welcome to Just Answer:

How long has this been happening?

Any history of eye surgery?

Any problem with dry eyes?

What is the balance of vision between the two eyes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think the ocular distortion is seen mainly on the left eye, not the other so much. Also, it seems to fluctuate, being worse at certain times, and almost normal at other times, and then the "distortion" appears again. There is no loss of vision, blurred vision, or double vision at all. She needs glasses to read (about 0.5 to 0.75), and it appears that lately this may have gotten just a little worse. She noticed this "distortion" only a few days ago when she developed a URI, and had some headaches and a little pain around her eyes when closing her eyes tightly along with sinus pressure. The URI and all the other symptoms are now gone. She feels fine otherwise. Her blood glucose is normal, and her blood pressure is normal.

Thank you so much for your reply.

It appears that she is experiencing the distortion symptoms of cornea dryness and/or residual inflammation and eye fatigue due to the the URI and sinus pressure. This is not harmful. This can cause a transient change in the refractive error of the eye. It may be neccessary, if not better in 1 week, to exclude that her eye pressure is within normal limits - my guess is that her eye pressure is okay, except for the residual inflammation around her left eye causing image distortion and eye ache and focusing difficult.

This should resolve in 1-2 weeks. To speed the recovery, I suggest that she use preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal drop 4 times daily, and over the counter Zaditor eye drops twice daily for 2 weeks. After these has resolve, then she can follow-up with her eye doctor for re-check for new glasses. If this fails to significantly improve in 1 week or worsen, then I suggest that she follow-up with her eye doctor for closer evaluation.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.