Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

My husband was in a pet shop and petted some dogs, and then

My husband was in a pet shop and petted some dogs, and then touched/rubbed his eye. It is now swollen around the eye, but there is also a large blister on the white (cornea?) part, and it is watering. It looks like it is oozing. He has already taken claritin, but it is getting worse, more promounced. Should we apply cool compresses, take benadryl, or go to an ER?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Is there any discharge present in the eye?

Is there any itching present?

Is the vision affected or not?

Is there any pain?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks watery, but no discharge.

Not itchy or painful, and he can see,

The whites of the eye looks pink, and also yellowed and gooey or glossy.

He has an ice pack on it and the blister I saw has gone down.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Blister may have been due to allergy. It is more likely to be an allergic conjunctivitis. Using an anti-allergic drop like Pataday 2 times a day should be helpful. The other possibility is that of viral conjunctivitis which will take it's own time(about a week). I would recommend that you use Pataday drops and if that does not help then see an ophthalmologist. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is that a percription medication? What would be an over-the-counter equivilant? This has never happened before.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Pataday is not avalable OTC. You can go for Opcon-A. It is available OTC. Even claritin or benadryl will help but can cause drowsiness. The transient blister was most likely due to allergy and it's a good sign that it has gone. Swelling involving the lids could be both due to allergy or viral conjunctivitis. In viral conjunctivitis the eye is likely to be diffusely red. Seeing an ophthalmologist or optometrist will confirm the diagnosis. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any more questions?