Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I was just put on Doxepin for hives. I am in early stages

I was just put on Doxepin for hives. I am in early stages of macular degeneration. I can still drive and read etc. I have woken up in the middle of the night a couple of times and one time I thought I was seeing silver bars and they went away rather quickly. Another time I thought I saw a small bird perched on the phone but when I put the light on there was nothing there. Could this be a result of the doxepin or the very early stages of macular degeneration?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Doxepin can cause visual blurring, visual hallucinations(you saw a bird, it was not there) or other vision changes. So, these symptoms may be due to doxepin. Macular degeneration is not likely to cause these symptoms. In macular degeneration the central vision may be blurred. Other possibilities include posterior vitreous detachment(normal ageing change in which you may see flashes of light and floaters) or ocular migraine which may or may not be followed by a headache. You can see an ophthalmologist for a dilated eye examination to confirm the diagnosis. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.