Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

my two year old daughter has a pink eye what can i do for her

Customer Question

my two year old daughter has a pink eye what can i do for her it is bothering her
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Is any discharge present?

If yes, is it purulent or watery?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes she has lot of cold in it... it's really green and it keeps coming out.... her eyes are somewhat watery
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

It looks like she has bacterial conjunctivitis. She needs anti-biotic eye drops like Tobramycin(3-4 times a day). She should be fine in 2-4 days. However, you need to take her to an ophthalmologist/optometrist for confirmation of the diagnosis. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

No, these are prescription drugs. So, you have to see an ophthalmologist for a prescription in any case. But it is very likely to be conjunctivitis. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if i dont make it to the doctor soon can i do anything at home? and we she be fine if she doesn't make it to the doctor....
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

If it was viral conjuctitis then it would not have required anti-biotics but since the discharge is greenish it is likely to be bacterial. Bacterial conjunctivitis has to be treated with anti-biotic eye drops. If you can not see an ophthalmologist then atleast see an optometrist. He will be of great help(and a lot cheaper) as well. I don't think any home remedies will work. Thanks and best wishes.