Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

My children, ages 12 1nd 11 are both soft contact lens wearers.

Customer Question

My children, ages 12 1nd 11 are both soft contact lens wearers. They have been in the lenses for several months now with no issues. During the past couple of weeks, however, both kids have occurrances of bloodshot syes for periods of time (1/2 day or so) then itt subsides...then reappears a couple of days later. There seems to be no real pattern. We initially thought the cause may be a result of using toiletries (e.g. soap, antiperspirant) as they do share a comon bathroom. We also thought the condition may be pink eye but there seems to be no discharge, crusty eyelids in the morning, discomfot, etc. During an unrelated visit to the dermatologist, he suggested perhaps we may be dealing with dry eye syndrome or allergy but am perplexed that is common in both kids at the same time. Changing out their lenses to a fresh pair doesn't seem to remedy. Any ideas what we may b dealing with? want to make sure there isn't a risk of some wierd underlying medical condition vs. a simple reaction to something. Thank you...Ron
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

It's important that you get both the children examined by an ophthalmologist/optometrist. It's little strange that both of them are having the symptoms at the same time. I want to rule out infection. Other possibilities could be contact lens intolerance, druness etc. Avoid wearing contact lens till they have been examined. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.