Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Scleritis in left eye for 2 months. Opthamologist tried 3

Scleritis in left eye for 2 months. Opthamologist tried 3 different antibiotic drop with no effect. Have also been on 8 oral antibiotics with no effect. Finally went to Baskin Palmer Eye Institute ER. Doc said it was not an infection, put me on prednisolone, and wanted me to come back in the morning for eye ultrasound, but would not say what he suspected. I've spent $1,400 on this problem already and cannot afford the ultrasound. The pred. has helped a little bit but after 7 days not much.

I am worried. Any suggestions on what to do or what he might have been suspecting?

Scleritis is the inflammation of the sclera and requires steroid eye drops. Antibiotic eye drops do not help in this condition neither do oral antibiotics.

You must continue with steroid eye drops, prednisolone eye drops once every 3-4 hours during waking hours.

Oral NSAID like tab.Indomethacin 50 mg twice is effective. Oral steroids can be added in those in whom NSAID are not effective.

Ultrasound of the eye is required in scleritis in which posterior scleritis is suspected (as in 20% of cases of scleritis) . A scleral thickening is confirmatory of posterior scleritis if found on ultrasonography.

Scleritis can be associated with various systemic conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, wegener's granulomatosis, polyarteritis nodosa and systemic lupus erythematosus.

As of now you must use steroid eye drops, oral NSAID and or oral steroids and discuss with the ophthalmologist about the dosage. It is better to undergo Ultrasonography as it helps in the diagnosis( and to differentiate conditions similar to posterior scleritis like uveal effusion syndrome, orbital inflammatory disease).

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That is what I was thinking too. I went to medical school and had a clinic until 20 years ago, but eye health is not my thing.

How long should I use the steroid eye drops?

What can be done if sclerotic material is found on the back of the eye?

Depending how you respond to steroids, it may be needed for weeks or sometimes over a month. A regular follow up should help to decide the duration of treatment.

The treatment remains the same even if scleral thickening is seen on ultrasonography.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai