Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

i HAD CATARACT SURGERY ON MY RIGHT EYE 2 DAYS AGO A TEAR IN

i HAD CATARACT SURGERY ON MY RIGHT EYE 2 DAYS AGO A TEAR IN THE POSTERIOR CAPSULE OCCURED DURING SURGERY AND I WAS TOLD A PIECE OF THE LENS THAT WAS BEING REMOVED FLOATED THRU THE TEAR I AM TAKING DROPS HOPEFULLY TO DISSOLVE THIS BUT MY VISION RIGHT NOW IS WORSE THAN BEFORE. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THIS BEING ABSORBED AND WAT HAPPENS IF IT IS NOT
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Did the surgeon mention that there was a "nucleus drop" ?

Was any intraocular lens inserted? If so have you been told which type?

Have you been told that you might need another surgery?

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i was not told that there was a nucleus drop the lens was inserted it was an acrysof acrylic foldable iol yes he did say they may have to go back nd retrieve this in surgery what is the likelihood of this dissolving with the drops and how common is this

It looks like there has been a nucleus drop in which a small fragment of the lens nucleus drops into the vitreous due to a posterior capsule rent. Though less common in experienced hands, it may sometimes occur. The nucleus fragment seldom gets dissolved on its own or with steroid drops, it requires surgical removal along with vitrectomy by a vitreoretinal surgeon. If not removed , this nucleus fragment may either settle down and sit on the retina and may cause a traction on it and cause a retinal detachment later. Therefore it is better to consult a vitreoretinal surgeon and take the required treatment.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai