Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My girlfriend used too much bleach on our white towels. I used

My girlfriend used too much bleach on our white towels. I used one of them to dry my eyes. Over the course of two days, my vision got blurry and uncomfortable. It just now occurred to me that the towels may be the reason. I just showered and rinsed my eyes well. My vision has improved but my eyes burn just a little bit. Do I need to see a doctor or should I just continue to rinse my eyes out at home?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Bleach splashing in the eyes is a more common scenario. In that case, it is considered an emergency where rinsing of the chemical from your eyes need to be done immediately and copiously. Evaluation in the emergency room for the pH, eye pressure, and extent of ocular damage is important.

Your situation is different, but along the same lines. It is good you rinsed your eyes. You should continue to rinse your eyes if you feel there is still bleach in your eyes. You should also use artificial tears to lubricate your eyes which should help with the burning.

I'd recommend you see a doctor to assess the pH and the extent of any damage to the eyes.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.