Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

Can the use of travatan z affect the time it takes for pupil

Customer Question

Can the use of travatan z affect the time it takes for pupil dilation to end?
Pupil dilation has always taken me a bit more time to come back to normal. Now that I am using Travatan z eye drops it is taking much longer. Travatan lowers pressure within the eye and so that might one reason. I only started Travatan last Fall and this is my first eye exam with dilation since I started with Travatan Now it is 24 hours since the dilation and there is still some glare from bright lights and sun reflections. I have been using the Travatan since last October when I was diagnosed with glaucoma. Yesterday was my first eye exam with dilation since I began using the drops.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

Travatan is unlikely to be affecting pupil dilatation. Pupil dilatation and glare could be due to raised eye pressure.The other possibility could be the mydriatic that is used to dilate your eyes could be longer acting like cyclopentolate or atropine. You can discuss with your ophthalmologist. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The opthalmologist used the same medicine to dilate the pupil as he used last year and the year before. The only variables are: I am one year older, the use of travatan z somehow affected the dilation time, my eye pressure is LOWER than last years exam due to the travatan. I was at about 22 to 24 before using travatan and now I am at about 14 to 16 after using travatan. Could lowering the pressure cause a change in dilation time, ie., going back to normal. Last year my eyes returned to normal in about 8 hours. This year it is about 24 or more hours and even now my eyes feel sensitive to light.

Note I also have blepharitis, but I have had blepharitis for at least 5 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need to have an answer to my question which has additional information. The expert assumed that my eye pressure had increased. In fact it had decreased because of the use of Travatan.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

Travatan is not known to affect dilatation. Your eye pressure keeps fluactuating. No doubt travatan would help to lower the pressure but it is possible that dilatation may have increased the eye pressure which is responsible for these symptoms and when the pressure is controlled again these symtoms will go. Dilatation can increase the eye pressure by obstructing the flow of fluid in the anterior part of the eye. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: The answer is vague. I don't think he understands what I am trying to say..
The answer is vague. I don't think he understands what I am trying to say.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I need another expert. Sorry.