Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

illegal drugs cause eye infections

Customer Question

illegal drugs cause eye infections
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Can you describe in more detail about the eye infections?
One eye or both eyes?
What type of illegal drugs?
Does she sleep in the contact lenses?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think just one eye. Red and oozy. Not sure about what kind of drug use. In the past presc. meds but suspect anything from cocaine, meth, not really sure.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Illegal substances abuse by themselves do not cause eye infection. The behavior surrounding the period of abuse increases risks of infection. These includes issues with hygiene, over use of contact lenses, or passing out for long periods of time and sometimes not closing the eyes all the way. This can cause the eyes to dry out and risk infection or irritation.

So, the illegal drugs do not cause the eye infection, but the contact lens use and hygiene issues are likely what contributed to the red eye. In any case, if this is a current issue, she should see an eye doctor for evaluation and treatment.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just sent a question about canceling because I won't see her again for a while. As soon as I sent that I get an answer. I asked about canceling because I didn't realize it would take this long. I also did not send my email information, I guess that was sent by my paypal. Don't really like that. I kept this window open for about 9 hours waiting. I appreciate your help but it came a litttle late. I only wanted to advise her because I saw her earlier today.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I've forwarded your request for a refund to customer service. Best wishes to your friend.