Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my eye, kindof the feeling..lately my eyes have been stinging..extreme

the last few months ive been experiencing a strange lling feeling in my eye, kindof the feeling like when your eye twitches but without the actual twitch. and lately my eyes have been stinging alot expecially at night, it almost feels like thee is small bits of glass in my eye and when i rub it stings them. and just tonight i woke up with extreme dizzyness that lasted for a few hours. like the room was spinning. i do need glasses but havent worn them for 14 years but have had no problems till this, can you help me.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Stinging sensation and foreign body sensation is often seen in dry eyes which occurs due to tear film abnormalities. It requires lubricating eye drops like preservative free Refresh tears ,1 drop 4 times a day(OTC).In case you do not get relief in a day or two , then it requires detailed eye examination on the slit lamp to detect any other cause of the symptoms.

You must get your refraction done and wear the appropriate correction at the earliest as uncorrected refractive errors can give rise to various symptoms including fatigue.

The dizziness is unlikely to be due to any eye problem. Spinning sensation is called vertigo and could be due to ear problems. A postural hypotension also causes dizziness but not vertigo. You can consult a physician who will be able to help you for the dizziness.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do you mean by getting my refraction done? and does correction mean i must wear my glasses

Refraction means getting your eyes tested for detecting any refractive error like myopia or hypermetropia or astigmatism( all these cause reduced vision ). If you do have such a problem then you must wear glasses ( or contact lenses ).

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if i do not wear my glasses will my eyesight get worse or stay the same

If you do not wear your glasses your vision is likely to remain the same. If at all there is worsening of vision later , it would be due to either the corneal shape alteration or slight elongation of the eyeball but not because you have not worn glasses.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai