Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Have had itchy/tearful eyes for 30 days now. I have been seen

Customer Question

Have had itchy/tearful eyes for 30 days now. I have been seen by 2 eye doctors and given 8 diferent type of medication. Still the same+red etes.

Any ideas? Help?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Your symptoms are suggestive of allergic conunctivitis or severe dryness. Since, the symtoms seem to be of severe type you have been prescribed steroid drops like prednisolone. You can continue with the steroid drops under the supervision of your ophthalmologist as long term use may cause cataract or glaucoma. You should also use a preservative free lubricating drop like Refresh Tears. If dryness is due to meibomitis you can go for oral doxycycline course. It will be helpful. You can discuss it with your ophthalmologist. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I used prednisolone but didn't help. Let me share this with you, it might have a bearing on the situation.

I have been using the spare bedroom as an office. There is closset full of unused ladies dresses,etc in there. I guess the humidity has created a "musty" smell" I bought an air purifyer,just in case. Could this "musty smell" be some kind of airborne unseen fungus? Could this be part of my problem? My eyes are always wet so I don't think I have a "dry" condition.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Fungal infection has so many signs in the eye which can not be missed by two eye doctors. When severe dryness is present then there is reflex hypersecretion in the eyes and you may feel that your eyes are wet. There could also be burning, itching and foreign body sensation. If meibomitis is the cause of dryness then oral doxycycline course will be very beneficial. Prednisolone alone may not help. In addition warm compresses will be helpful. However, you should discuss it with your doctor. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any more questions?