Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

On Saturday I hit myself in the eye with a cardboard hang tag

On Saturday I hit myself in the eye with a cardboard hang tag you find on clothing at the store. I had slight bleeding which stopped immediately. I know have a very bloodshot eye with a small raised bump about 3-4 cent long. It is white and surrounded by the bloodshot part.

Is this a normal part of the healing process?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any pain?
Have you seen an eye doctor?
Any change in vision?
Is the bloodshot over the "white" part of the eye?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It feels strained not painful though. My vision is perfectly fine and I have not sought medical treatment. The bloodshot is only on the white of my eye and the bump has no bloodshot or color to it, just appears to be raised.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

It appears you might have a conjunctival laceration (cut). The conjunctiva is the clear mucous membrane that covers the whites of your eyes. This often heals well. The blood will clear on its own with time.

I'd recommend you see an ophthalmologist to examine the extent of the conjunctival laceration. He will examine your eyes to see if there is any damage to any other structures and prescribe antibiotic drops to prevent infection.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.