Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

On at least two occasions, Ive experienced blurry vision in

On at least two occasions, I've experienced blurry vision in the lower part of my right eye after leaving a movie theater. It looked like a smear on the lower part of my eyegalss lens, but it wasn't.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Any problem with floaters or flashes?

Have you have any eye surgery before?

Any problem with glare?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have some small floaters, but I have to look at something like a clear blue sky to see them. They are in no way a problem to my day-to-day vision.

No surgery.

Doesn't glare bother everyone? Bright glare is very annoying.

I just remembered something. Long story short: When I was in the navy, I had a case of shipyard's disease in my right eye that left some minor scarring on some part of my eye (diagnosed by an opthalmologist after I got out of the service). It was so long ago that I don't remember where the doc said the scarring is. I just remember the navy corpman treated me for pink eye. After a week or two of no improvement, they just had me wear an eyepatch until it went away.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply.

It is likely that you were experincing the shadow of the inferior lens opacity, cornea or retinal scar due to change or lag in accomodation. Normally, when you are in bright light, light easily passes through the lens, but when you are in the dark and change to bright light, the lag in accommodation causes the shadow created by any opacity or scar to be seen until full accommodation is completed - and things become clear again.

It is likely that the incident that happened during your navy years could have been a cornea abrasion. If not properly managed or it was infected at the time, it could have left a small scar off your normal axis is vision, but could be noticed with change in lighting of the room as in the movie.

The other possibility is that the lens inside your eye is developing early cataract on the inferior portion which slows light passing when change from dark to light compared to other areas of the lens without much or any early cataract. Another option though less likely is a retinal scar at the back of the eye. I suggest that you consider a follow-up visit to your doctor for complete eye examination to exclude any retinal problem. Finally, I suggest that you use preservative free tear drop such Refresh or Genteal drop as needed whenever you feel any sensation of dry eyes.

I suggest that you request for your eye doctor to recommend the best low vision specialist inb your area - I trust that they will assist you with making such glasses or contacts. May God bless.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon